Wednesday, October 28, 2009

A lazy attempt at a post...

As I am gearing up for a bit of a working vacation, as well as being in pursuit of a new home, as well as trying to do my day job (which, incidentally finally has provided real work), I did not have a lot of time today to write. So as not to back down on my promise to write everyday and make some sort of concerted effort towards poetry, I will tell you what is just about my favorite thing to listen to when I have the chance.

It is called the Writer's Almanac, and it is hosted by Garrison Keillor. If you have not heard it, then tune into your local NPR station and figure out when it is on for you. That is, if you like poetry and random facts about authors or literary figures... I do! Also, if you don't want to listen all day to NPR to find it, you can go to this website: http://writersalmanac.publicradio.org/

I love the Writer's Almanac because it gives you a recital of a poem, as well as a literary 'This Day in History.' For the history section, you usually learn about the birthday (sometimes death) of some person who influenced literature. Sometimes these people are authors themselves, other times it could be just a patron who sought the dissemination of literature. Most of the time I have no idea who the show speaks of, but when I do it is fascinating to see how the fact enriches your understanding of a person (that is the geek in me speaking).

The poem follows, and it can be short or slightly long in length, depending on how much time was spent on the history section. Many of the poems come from modern poets, but there tend to be some surprises as well. Not all are liked, and some are just downright awful (my tastes there obviously). However, all are bookended by the closing line of the show: "Be well, do good work, & keep in touch."

As corny as it may be, I love to listen to the last line. I wait for it in my car when I am listening to the radio on the way to work. I don't know what it is, but I like it. Anyway, that's my plug for the day, and I hope you all will take the time and listen to the Writer's Almanac. It is definitely good for the soul!

No comments:

Post a Comment